If you own a Keurig K-Express, you may have noticed that the machine can become clogged with mineral buildup over time, resulting in a slight change in the flavor of your coffee. But you can make your coffee taste better by descalling your machine.
So, how to descale a Keurig K-Express? Here are some quick steps;
- Get yourself a Descaling solution or make one yourself.
- Pour in the descaling solution.
- Turn on the descaling mode.
- Press the 8 oz button twice or thrice until the “add water” light comes on.
- Clean the water tank.
- Press the 8 oz button twice or thrice until the “add water” light comes off.
Following these steps, you can quickly get your Keurig K-Express back running smoothly and your coffee to taste fresh and flavorful again.
Descaling removes calcium and mineral deposits that accumulate inside the coffee machine over time. These deposits are nutritionally harmless and non-toxic, but if left unattended for an extended period, they may obstruct the performance of your machine.
I’ve compiled a step-by-step guide for cleaning your Keurig K-Express machine with the simplest ingredients and the least effort. Stick around till the end of the article to get a complete idea.
|Turn off your machine, but don’t unplug it. Remove any pods or capsules that may have become lodged in the machine. Remove any remaining water from the reservoir and clean it. Some people may find this a filthy process, so wear rubber gloves if you have them.|
How to Descale a Keurig K-Express? Step-by-Step Guide
After making 250 cups, the descaling light on the machine usually starts blinking. It doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to descale only when the light starts blinking; you should descale whenever you feel the need.
Here is how you can clean your Keurig-Express Machine.
You will need a couple of supplies to start with the descaling process.
- First, you must get yourself a Keurig solution, which can be purchased from Amazon.
- If you cannot purchase the solution, you can always make a homemade one.
- You just need white vinegar and fresh water.
- Mix these in equal amounts to make yourself a solution.
- You are also going to need a clean cloth.
Turn On Descaling Mode
You need to activate the descaling mode of the machine before going through the process. For this, with your machine connected to power but powered off, press and hold the 6 oz. and 10 oz buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds. The 8 oz light will come on.
The machine has now entered the descaling mode. The descaling light should now be blinking.
Pour In The Solution
If you use the pre-made descaling solution, pour the solution entirely into the water tank. Now fill out the remaining space with clean water. Ensure the tank is filled with 50% solution and 50% water.
An easy way to ensure you got both liquids in equal proportions is to empty the solution bottle, fill it with water, and pour it into the tank.
If you use your homemade solution, just pour your solution into the water tank. You don’t need to pour water separately; you made your mixture with 50% water.
The Descaling Process
This is the central part of the process!
- Place a container under the coffee machine and press the 8 oz button twice or thrice until the “add water” light blinks.
- Be sure to press the 8 oz button only after the light blinks. This can cause the descaling light to turn on even when it has been descaled.
- Now, pull out the water reservoir. You have to clean it with a cloth using detergent and water.
- After that, fill it up with fresh water but not the descaling solution.
- Insert the water reservoir back into the machine, and the “add water” light should turn off, but the “descale” and “8 oz” lights should remain blinking.
- Now push the 8 oz button to turn off the descaler and 8 oz light. Your machine is now out of descaling mode, and you can make your coffee generally as you would.
Watch This Video: How To Descale A Keurig K-Express?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is the Pre-made Solution Better Than the Homemade Solution?
The pre-made solution consists mainly of vinegar and a touch of other essential ingredients. These other ingredients are readily available to some; therefore, the homemade solution only consists of vinegar and water.
If asked which performs the job better, the pre-made solution would be. This is because the added ingredients significantly improve the job.
How to Turn Off the Descaling Light?
In some cases, you might discover that the descaling light is still on after completing the process. This might happen if the machine needs to be cleaned appropriately.
To counter this, you can go for attempting the whole process again. This time, do it without the solution because you emptied the bottle on your first try and would be unable to do it again if you purchased a pre-made solution.
Besides, the use of the solution is no longer needed. You must rinse the machine with clean water until the descaling light turns off.
How Often Should I Descale my Machine Keurig K-Express?
The Keurig coffee machine usually requires to be descaled after 250-cups brewed. The descaling light automatically turns on after this limit.
As a precaution, you should descale it every 3-6 months, primarily if you use unfiltered water to make your coffee. If you use the machine more frequently, it requires more immediate attention.
Descaling is an essential maintenance task that can help to keep appliances running smoothly and extend their lifespan. The guide to descaling your coffee machine usually comes along with your coffee machine package.
The problem with Keurig is that its descaling is a long and careful process. With other coffee machines, you just rinse vinegar a couple of times in the machine, but with a Keurig, you need to follow a whole descaling procedure.
All coffee machine owners need to descale their machines regularly to prevent any issue in your experience of having fresh coffee every day.